Friday, May 15, 2009

Chicks are cute

My favorite chicks...the buff orpington/araucana crosses...note the adorable orange color with brown stripes.





It's so interesting that our chicks seem to come in pairs and triplets of identical color patterns. I'm sure it has to do with having hatched out about 2-3 eggs from each hen, but there are only 5 differnent kinds, and I've seen many more color patterns than that. The leghorn/araucana cross chicks are all light yellowish varying from no dark markings to very strong head dots and back stripes...same for the buff orpington/aracuana crosses...all chicks are orange, but varying levels of brown markings.

My neice and nephew love baby chicks too. They missed the hatching, but got to come over the day after and play with day old chicks.


1 comment:

Andrea -Mustang Saga said...

They're adorable! I like the stripey ones too.