Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Weaning

Weaning is going well.  I've been letting the mares into the barn twice a day for about an hour to let the babies nurse.  Today I can tell that Cody's udder is not quite as full, so she is slowing down milk production.  Same with Catlow.  And today was the first day that the babies came right to me when I walked into the barn in the morning instead of standing at the door whinnying for their mammas.  They were still waiting for them, but came to me first, and calmly walking into their stalls when I directed them so I could let the mares in.  They still went crazy as the mares came in, but I'm seeing an improvement in their attitudes!  Today, I'm home most of the day, so I'm going to let the babies out in the pasture with the other horses and leave the mares in the barn.  Babies need to stretch their legs.  Also, Denny has been pawing at the door and he's wearing the toe off his left foot.  I'd like him to quit doing that, but I can't control it when he's in the barn.  I guess I could lay a rubber mat by the door, but I suspect it won't stay there.

No comments: