Monday, June 2, 2014

Stallion

I searched a long time while looking for a stallion to breed Cody to.  Cody is 11 this year, and I always wanted a foal from her.  At her age, it is now or possibly never, being a maiden mare.  In a stallion (and hopefully passed down to the foal) I primarily want disposition, all around athletic ability, soundness and an attractive horse.  I preferred a stallion that has been "proven" by being shown at least some.  By attractive, I mean a well put together balanced horse with a color I've always wanted (I LOVE bays, but would really like the chance to have a dun (red, bay or grullo).  The stallion I chose could not have a "cream" gene (which results in buckskin, palomino or smoky black), because Cody also carries that gene, and I did not want to chance having a double dilute foal (I really didn't want to deal with pink skin).  It was very difficult finding a stallion that met all my criteria.  A lot of dun/grullo horses out there also carry a cream gene and I think a lot of people might like the increased chance of color.  Maybe I'm an odd person, but I also want to be completely surprised by the color of the foal, and wasn't as interested in a stallion being homozygous for dun color (but I wouldn't have minded if he was).  The stallion I chose is drop-dead gorgeous and has done very well in the reining world.   He and his ancestors are known for their disposition.  And I even got a chance to see this stallion in person to be sure he was every bit as awesome as his pictures make him seem.  He did not disappoint me.  And I don't know if I could have found a stallion with a better disposition.

His name is Rawhides Slvr Bullet.  His grandsire is Hollywood Dun It.  You can find more information about him here: http://www.jewelquarterhorses.com/.  I also have some pictures I've saved of him for myself, but fear that I shouldn't post them online.  I will post them to show you my favorites, but will take them down in a few days (copyright, you know).  And yes, his coat really does shine metallic in the sunlight.

Enjoy!  I love looking at him too and am so excited for a foal. First I have to get Cody bred.








2 comments:

Shirley said...

Oh! Oh oh oh! I love this horse! I've been a fan on his Facebook page for a while and I'm really impressed with him- how exciting that you will be breeding your mare to him. It's sure to be an outstanding baby!

Andrea -Mustang Saga said...

He is handsome! Sounds like he's everything a stallion should be. I can't wait to see baby!