Friday, August 26, 2011

Today I rode Cody out on the trails....

with Griffin in tow!!!!  He was really good!  He was actually less worried by some things on the trail than Cody, my seasoned trail horse, was!  Cody just gets a little bug-eyed about things sometimes, but usually they are warranted (for example, today, the trampled ground under some wild apple trees kind of got her acting balky, but she probably also smelled deer there recently).

We stopped here to take a picture of the nice view.  It is hard to get a feel for how high of a hill we are on from a picture, but you can see we are above the level of the huge steel power line poles along the interstate on the left side of the picture.  The trail going down this hill is a lot steeper than it looks in the picture too.  We did not go down because there is a fence down laying along the left side of the trail and I didn't want to risk it with leading another horse.

Griffin enjoys the view too.  He really was so relaxed on our ride.

Back at home, he made a pest out of himself by picking up Cody's bridle off the hitching post.  I took it out of his mouth before he scared himself with it and got into trouble with being tied up.

I think I've made a loyal friend.  After I turned him loose, I crossed the pasture to get back to my house and Griffin followed me the whole way.  Maybe he just wants a treat, but it is amazing what a little positive association can do and how it can quickly change a horse from being evasive to interested and willing.

He even stood at the gate after I closed it in his face, wishing he could come through too.

2 comments:

Andrea -Mustang Saga said...

I wonder if it's not just the treats but the great fun he's having when you take him out. What a good boy to make so much progress so fast, and be so calm about it all.

Anonymous said...

That's a great day! I love his expressions in the photos - he does look very friendly and relaxed.