Tuesday, March 22, 2011

What a difference a week makes!

One week ago, the snow was still pretty deep out in the pasture. Now, after a week of 40's and 50's and a little rain, most of the ground is bare, with the exception of the north facing slopes.

I wish that my new header pic was what spring looked like here right now, but unfortunately, that is a picture from last spring, taken in April.

This is what it looks like right now...dreary and muddy.


Today, we had sleet and some hail with thunderstorms. The horses stood under the bare leafless oaks for shelter. They could have stood in the shed, or under the dense pines (at least they have leaves!). Why they choose the places they do is beyond me. The dense pines are also on the same side of a hill that the oaks are, so they'd be blocked from winds coming from the same direction.


These pictures are from a week ago now already. Momma hen is pretty protective of her rapidly growing chicks. We started out with 6, but right away one died, and I think it was my fault. I think I startled the hen and she stepped on one chick. Then about a week and a half ago, the smallest chick suddenly went missing. I had them in a large wire dog kennel in the main coop area. I think the smallest one squeezed out of the cage and happened to find his way outside of the coop (I had left the door open overnight that night), and since it was below zero, I'm pretty sure he didn't make it. I found no other sign of him in the coop anywhere.


The rest of the chicks are doing great. They are really feathering out and growing up.


They are no longer in the large dog kennel. I moved them to the other half of the coop so that they could have more room.

2 comments:

Andrea -Mustang Saga said...

Those babies are so big already! It amazes me how fast chicks grow.

Spring! I am loving the signs, but hating the weather so far. We have crocuses and singing frogs, but it's been raining almost constantly, with some snow and cold wind also.

Linda said...

That's the bad thing about melting. Your herd is beautiful though--all huddled together under the tree. That picture is classic. I love the pics on the sidebar, too, with their history.